Friday, July 1, 2011

Dust it Off - Ice Cream Maker: Strawberry Sorbet (and Popsicles)!

A couple of years ago, I decided to buy an ice cream maker.  It is a really inexpensive and fun kitchen appliance!  Naturally, I get it out of the cabinet and dust it off mostly in the summer (french vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, or strawberry ice cream, berry sorbets....yummmmmmm!). 

If you don't have an ice cream machine and don't plan on buying one, don't fret!   Just follow the same instructions, and pour the mixture into Popsicle molds instead :)

I keep the ice cream "buckets" in the freezer, covered with plastic wrap, so that they are ready to go when I decide I need sorbet now. 

For this simple recipe, I took about 4 cups of strawberries and 1+1/2 cups of water and tossed them in the blender.  

My hubby doesn't like seeds, so I passed the puree through a fine mesh strainer, pressing through with a rubber spatula.

Next, just stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar, a good squeeze of lemon juice, and a big pinch of salt.

Pour into the (already turned on) ice cream maker.

The mixture should be frozen in about 30 minutes.  It will come out nice and slushy soft, so eating it right away is best.  You can put the rest in the freezer. 
        *Note: If you are not pregnant (dang it!), try adding a tablespoon or two of liquor (rum, framboise, vodka...whatever you like- it helps to keep the sorbet soft after you put it in the freezer.  Otherwise, it freezes up very hard)

No comments: